Top 10 First Dance Songs: Modern and Classic
— By Lydia Martin
29 October 2017
It’s one of those parts of the wedding that can be the most difficult – trying to figure out (and agree!) on a song for that all-important first dance as a newly married couple.
To make it easier we took to the most comprehensive publicly accessible source of musical knowledge, Spotify. We spent hours listening to the most followed wedding playlists, love song playlist, and party playlists to put together the perfect source for couples looking to pick a first dance song. Our list of 50 songs includes slow acoustic songs, to upbeat 2017 dance hits - we threw in afew classics that are bound to get everyone singing along.
We've listed a few of our favourites below along with a link to the full Playlist. Happy planning!
XO - Beyonce
This modern song may not be what you expected to find in our favourites but one listen to the lyrics and you will see that it reflects the purest of loves. If Beyonce isn't your taste, then there are some great covers of this song that might be more to your liking.
- Favourite Lyrical Moment: In the darkest night hour / I search through the crowd / Your face is all that I see / I'll give you everything
So Close - Jon McLaughlin
This song featured in modern fairytale film Enchanted, and it is bound to give you that magical feeling during your first dance. The song has a smooth jazz feel to it which offers a little something extra than a traditional love ballad. Just as its lyrics describe, the music will make you feel like you're the only two people in the room.
- Favourite Lyrical Moment: You're in my arms / And all the world is calm / The music playing on for only two
Ho Hey - The Lumineers
If you love the sound of folk music then this song will be right up your alley. The lyrics are sweet and are bound to get a smile out of everyone, and tears (of joy) out of a few more. "Ho Hey" is a unique song that not everyone will be familiar with, which means not everyone can sing along. Having said that, we can promise it will set a mood that no one will forget.
- Favourite Lyrical Moment: I belong with you / you belong with me / you're my sweetheart
Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud
This song has naturally become one of the most streamed songs on Spotify. It is at the top of every wedding playlist so we couldn't very well leave it out of our own. This song is perfect for a couple that wants their first dance to feel like a quiet pause in time. Ed Sheeran is this generation's king of love songs so it is a great choice for a couple who want a modern artist while still maintaining that classic intimate first dance feeling.
- Favourite Lyrical Moment: I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways / Maybe just the touch of a hand / Well, me—I fall in love with you every single day / And I just wanna tell you I am
I Choose You - Sara Bareilles
A slightly more upbeat vibe in comparison to the previous song, "I Choose You" really captures the feeling of the butterfly-beat of a heart in love. Sara Bareilles used this song to help two of her fans propose to their partners and she claims this song reflects her belief that lasting true love really does exist - the music video will almost certainly give you tears of joy.
- Favourite Lyrical Moment: Let the sun fade out to a dark sky / I can't say I'd even notice it was absent / 'Cause I could live by the light in your eyes
Love Love Love - Avalanche City
A contemporary New Zealand classic, "Love, Love, Love" is (as its name suggests) a declaration of love in a simple and perfect way. It is quite upbeat and probably wouldn't be suitable for a traditional first "slow partner dance" scene - it might be more suitable for a couple that wants to share their first dance with their friends and family rather than being alone in the spotlight.
- Favourite Lyrical Moment: Well, I can't say there'll come another day where money and time will fall / And on our hands, our wrinkles understand we never really wanted more
All Of Me - John Legend
Inspired by his wife Chrissy Teigen, "All of Me" is a beautiful love song by contemporary R&B artist John Legend. This hit is sure to be on the top wedding-worthy song lists for years to come. With its romantic and melting lyrics, "All of Me" is one of the most perfect songs to serenade the newlywed couple into their new life together. Watch the music video for a glimpse of John Legend’s own wedding to Chrissy Teigen with footage of their first kiss as husband and wife.
- Favourite Lyrical Moment: You're my end and my beginning / Even when I lose I'm winning / 'Cause I give you all of me / And you give me all of you
Somewhere Only We Know - Keane
This song is a bit of throwback, but it is timely because the generation that would have enjoyed this song in their youth are likely to be making up the majority of engaged couples now. In any case, it is a beautiful song about the good times and the hard times that come with love; it essentially goes back to the idea that everything can be worked through with time. This song also has a number of excellent covers, including a particularly beautiful one by Lily Allen.
- Favourite Lyrical Moment: And if you have a minute, why don't we go / Talk about it somewhere only we know?
I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston
This classic playful number is perfect for a fun loving couple that just wants to "kick'-back" and not think too much about the first dance. The song, at its heart, is about wanting a love that will last forever; a beautiful sentiment contained within an energetic pop-dance track. With a song like this one, you won't need to choreograph a dance routine it calls for a more relaxed dancing-for-the-hell-of-it feeling.
- Favourite Lyrical Moment: I wanna feel the heat with somebody / Yeah, I wanna dance with somebody / With somebody who loves me
Signed Sealed Delivered (I'm Yours) - Stevie Wonder
Another classic perfect for couples looking to make their first dance a little more fun. This a song about a love that has grown and matured, and one the has survived a few ups and downs. This song will definitely sound amazing sung by a live band and it will bring a lively energetic feeling to the room. Your wedding day is an exciting day after all, why not reflect that in your music choices.
- Favourite Lyrical Moment: Here I am baby / Oh, you've got the future in your hand / (Signed, sealed delivered, I'm yours)
Below is the full Playlist from our Spotify account, Lovemedialtd. Enjoy!
Co-author Luke Ellery.